Looking to change the door of your house? It is exceptional if you could design the door frame by your own and place it just outside of your room. If you are willing to create a wooden door frame, then you must first understand how to get it done properly.
- Wood Planer (read reviews here)
Creating a woodwork door frame is not that tough, but it requires a lot of skills to get the door mounted correctly. If you are willing to build a wooden frame, here are a few steps to follow.
How to frame a door opening on your own?
- Arrange all the lumbers as well as the woods which you will require to build the structure. Some essential elements like woods of different sizes and the materials for framing them. Determine the size of the door which you need to make, and you can take the help of measuring tape to note down the measurements of the height, width and the depth.
- You now have to determine the door opening and the cut the pieces of the door. To cut the wooden pieces, you can use a handsaw and get better out of the measurements that you take. To get a perfect finish of the wood you can also use a router and get the edges sharper.
- Once you have cut the pieces of the wooden door you now have to arrange them together. Gather all the elements which are required including the hammer, the drill machine, the pins and the other utensils. Start off with nailing the top plate to the ceiling with the help of nails. You can use a hammer to drill the nails.
- Using 12D measurement nails is far better to get the frame attached. Now insert the sole plate to the floor and drive the same nails to it as well. Use different screws to add the sole plate under the wooden frame. Use the nail studs of the same size 12D in the place and make a joint at the base. Drive the nails at an angle to make it much more efficient and connect two edges with metal connectors. Use the different sized nails to attach the jack studs to the king studs so that the frame gets a balance.
- Now you have to insert the header into the frame and then add a cripple stud to get it properly attached with the cripple stud. When you have completed the attachment you now have to join the sole plate. It will give you the most option to use the nails and place the frame.
- Remember always to use a pair of gloves and use an eye gear to protect your eyes while you are cutting or even routing the wood. Once you have created the frame, you can also arrange for the door with the help of some more wood.
However, if you are doing this for the first time, remember to use the guide thoroughly and follow the instructions precisely.